I believe in finding the root cause of the problem at hand and treating the total patient—mind and body—through a process of self-understanding.
"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes." - Carl Jung
Ana Maria Muñiz-Leen, M.D.
Board Certified in General and Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Dr. Ana María Muñiz-Leen, a graduate of the University of Miami School of Medicine, is board certified in both General Psychiatry and Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. Dr. Muñiz-Leen sees patients of all ages with a variety of psychiatric problems, including but not limited to:
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Conduct Disorders
- Developmental Disorders
- Eating Disorders
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Personality Disorders
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder
- Relationship Distress
She believes in finding the root cause of the problem at hand and treating the total patient—mind and body. In her practice she conducts thorough initial psychiatric evaluations, establishes diagnoses and treatment plans, and provides a variety of therapeutic interventions, including psychopharmacological (medication) management as indicated, as well as psychotherapy (psychodynamic, cognitive-behavioral, and supportive modalities).
- Fluent in English and Spanish
- English major at Georgetown University (earned a Bachelor of Arts degree with honors); pre-med (Biology minor)
- M.D. from University of Miami School of Medicine
- Obtained a certificate in publishing and communications from Harvard University’s Extension School and interned at Candlewick Press, Salamander (a magazine for poetry, fiction, and memoirs), and The Horn Book Magazine and Guide, all in the Boston area.
- Completed a residency training program in general psychiatry at Jackson Memorial Hospital/University of Miami School of Medicine
- Completed a two-year fellowship in child and adolescent psychiatry at Jackson Memorial Hospital /University of Miami School of Medicine
- Completed the psychoanalytic psychotherapy course (PPC) offered by the Florida Psychoanalytic Society (a two-year course)
- Presented a poster on anxiety sensitivity and its relationship to anxious and depressive symptoms at the 54th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Board Certified in General Psychiatry and Board Certified in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Was a psychiatric consultant at over 90 different public schools throughout Miami-Dade County (from November 2008-May 2015); in this
role, I consulted with school clinicians who work with students in the Emotional/Behavioral Disabilities (E/BD) program and performed full evaluations of these students (with proper consent obtained beforehand), spoke with parents and answered their concerns, advised teachers and clinicians on how to work with these students, and made psychiatric diagnoses and recommendations for treatment. The students I saw ranged in age from kindergarten age (5) to young adults (early twenties). I also made yearly professional presentations on a variety of topics (including the changes proposed for the latest Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), an overview of all psychotropic medications and street drugs, and clinical strategies to manage disruptive behaviors) in several sessions open to all the E/BD clinicians.
- Has extensive knowledge of autism spectrum disorders, their associated features, and the recommended treatment modalities.
“Psychiatry is a strange field because, unlike any other field of medicine, you never really finish. Your greatest instrument is you, yourself, and the work of self-understanding is endless. I'm still learning.” ― Irvin D. Yalom, The Spinoza Problem
“What we achieve inwardly will change outer reality.” –Plutarch
“Your present circumstances don’t determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start.”—Nido Qubein
“The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers.” – M. Scott Peck
“Who looks outside, dreams…who looks inside, awakes.” – Carl Jung