As someone who went back to school in my 40’s, 50’s and then again in my 60’s – this has been a question I’ve asked myself on the regular.
- In my 40’s, I went back to finish my Bachelor’s;
- In my 50’s I went back for an MBA, a certification as a Health and Life Coach, and left my full-time job to open my business; and
- in my 60’s I went back for a second Life Coach certification.
This, in addition to multiple masterminds for personal growth.
Today, much of my work with my clients is around stress, anxiety, burnout, and life transitions. My clients, who are currently between the ages of 35 through 53, are questioning how they are doing life, whether they need to make a change and what do they need – to make the change.
Do they need to go back to school for an additional degree, do they need a certification, do they stay at their jobs or do they open their own businesses.
My answer is always, always – “It depends.”
- It depends on what you want.
- It depends on what you are looking for.
- It depends on what you believe is lacking today in your life.
- It depends on what you believe going back to school will help solve.
- It depends on whether going back to school is to enhance, change or grow.
- It depends on whether the time and financial investment is worth it.
Going back to school just to go back to school thinking it’s “a shot at something” will not help you achieve what you want because you’re not clear on what you want.
Instead, having clarity and being intentional around whether to go back to school, helps you figure out where you are, where you’re headed and what steps you need to take to move forward.
QUOTE FOR THE WEEK
You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending. – C.S. Lewis