Some of the services available include (but are not limited to):
- Couples Counseling
- Family Recovery and Substance Abuse Counseling
- Infertility Counseling
- Child Abuse Counseling
- Sex Addiction, Infidelity, and Other Sexual Issues Counseling
- Sex Therapy
- Emotional Abuse Counseling
- Domestic Violence Counseling
- Psychiatric Evaluations
- Psychological Testing
- Life and Health Coaching
- Parenting Skills Training
- Adoption Transition
- LGBT Therapy
- Divorce Facilitator
- Parenting Coordinator
Recommended Reading for Couples:
For a list of books we recommend for couples check out the list below.
- Daring Greatly by Brené Brown, Ph.D., LMSW
- Mindfulness by Mark Williams and Danny Penman
- Seat of the Soul by Gary Zukav
- The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
- Thinking in Pictures: My Life wih Autism by Temple Grandin
- Man’s Search For Meaning by Viktor Frankl
- Who Moved My Cheese by Spence Johnson
- Still Alice by Lisa Genova – for patients with Alzheimer’s and their caregivers
- Sadako And The Thousand Paper Cranes by Eleanor Coerr – for grief
- The Year Of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion – for grief
- The 36 Hour Day byNancy L. Mace and Peter V. Rabins – for caregivers to people with Alzheimer’s
- Peace Is Every Step by Thích Nhất Hạnh
- Wreck This Journal by Keri Smith
Interactive section for Couples:
Arthur Aron sharing game questions – used to deepen intimacy in a relationship by answering in turn taking format.
Curious as to what the unhealthy signs of a relationship are? Check our list below.
Wondering what your expectations are in a relationship? Check out the questionnaire below.
Do you want to practice your communication skills with your partner? Work on your skills with the exercises below.
Women, are you in an unhealthy relationship? See the universal red flags taken from “A Dangerous Man”.
Check out our blogs below on couples and relationships!
Resources for Families:
A helpful family resource for parents and grandparents is “imom”. Print the following .pdf for a sample of good conversation starters with your kids. This is a sample of the many good resources on the “imom” site.
Recommended Reading for Families:
See the list below and check out recommended books for families, including kids and teens.
The Benefits of Professional Counseling
Whether you’re dealing with family or relationship issues, we believe that professional counseling is beneficial for everyone. Our relaxing atmosphere and warm professionals and staff make it a safe place for clients to come in and open themselves up to discuss specific issues, get advice on the growth of their relationship or just to vent.
Struggling with your partner?
For example, although some may question the effectiveness of marriage counseling in Miami, in our experience any couple who is willing to come to therapy has a strong likelihood of success.
The secret to good relationships is good communication. If you’re feeling stuck, trapped, or confused about how to move forward in a relationship it is important that you create new ways of interacting with your spouse or partner. Our relationship experts, can help you break the cycle of discord and teach you new tools that will enable you to change your hurtful patterns of behavior.
Struggling with Infertility?
Infertility counseling in Miami has its own set of challenges. Infertility is a condition that can affect all aspects of your life and in a variety of ways, as outlined below.
Following are four of the most common emotional side effects that couples undergo while struggling with infertility:
- 1. Anger and resentment toward topics regarding pregnancy.
- 2. Guilt when using contraception or previous termination.
- 3. Grief and loss control.
- 4. Inadequacy and an emotional rollercoaster of hope and then despair after unsuccessful treatment.
In addition to the emotional side effects referenced above, couples also feel physical side effects as a result of their struggle with infertility. They believe their bodies and sexual identities are dysfunctional as femininity and virility are often closely associated with fertility.
Relationships are also affected as follows:
- Couples blame or feel anger towards their partner.
- Treatments interfere with a couple’s sex life as a result of:
- disclosing details regarding sexual activity;
- the loss of privacy associated with the infertility tests affecting intimacy; and
- the lack of spontaneous sex thus, leading to sexual dysfunction.
- Socially, the affected couples feel isolated.
- Lack of social support as the strong societal pressure over fertility may cause many couples to keep their infertility a secret and avoid situations where the infertility is confronted.
Finally, the struggling couple also feels ethical conflicts concerning their treatment choices.
At Coral Gables Counseling Center we are sensitive to your specific needs. Our infertility counseling consists of four core processes:
- 1. Goals: Assist the individual or couple to develop coping strategies to regain their sense of control which has been diminished with their diagnosis.
- 2. Emotion Management: Assist with the development of strategies to decrease the negative emotions associated with the diagnosis and treatment. This process helps people feel they have more control.
- 3. Couples Therapy: One of the goals of couples therapy is to better understand how both partners feel. It also strengthens the relationship by engaging both partners with the decision-making around treatment options and alternative life goals.
- 4. Problem-solving Strategies: Strategies are discussed regarding
- the various types of treatments;
- the number of attempts;
- the overall length of time dedicated to the treatment;
- the amount of money they will commit towards having a child;
- whether or not to stop treatment and allowing the couple to work towards accepting their infertility and pursuing other options such as adoption or living a child-free life.
Your Personal Journey to Better Relationships Begins Here
There’s no reason to be afraid to seek out professional help.
Coral Gables Counseling Center offers a safe and comfortable atmosphere in which to determine your best course of action. All therapy sessions are kept strictly confidential.
Our “wholistic” approach of treating both mind and body makes us uniquely qualified to help you on the path to mental and physical wellness.
We help people build better relationships with their spouse, their children, their families, and most importantly, with themselves.