Attention ALL PARENTS: These stats are scary!
“Bullying” is a problem that affects millions of students and children of all races worldwide. 1 out of 4 kids is bullied and depending on their age, up to 43% of students have been bullied while online. With school starting right around the corner here are some things to consider for purposeful parenting.
I’m here to touch on a very sensitive topic, which is the topic of bullying. What exactly is bullying? Bullying is the constant abuse (whether physical or mental) of a weaker person.
Child, Teen Bullying, and Cyber-bullying are at an all-time high in our school systems, parks, and youth organizations. Some of our kids are so tormented that suicide has become an alternative for them. It has everyone worried. Not just the kids that are in fact being bullied, but also the parents, teachers, and others who may not understand how extreme a bullying incident can become.
We at Zen’s Anti-Bully and Children Development are working aggressively and diligently to prevent these issues and to help as many kids affected by it. We provide a self defense and mentoring program that not only builds leadership values in our children, however also allows them the opportunity to stand up for themselves when others won’t.
Bullying Statistics (The Scary Truth)
• 1 out of 4 teens are Bullied
• 9 out of 10 LGBT students experienced harassment at school and online
• 8% of students stay home on any given day because they’re afraid of being bullied
• 1 out of 5 kids admits to being a bully, or doing some “Bullying.”
• 43% fear harassment in the bathroom at school
• A poll of teens ages 12-17 proved that they think violence increased at their schools
• 282,000 students are physically attacked in secondary schools each month
• More youth violence occurs on school grounds as opposed to on the way to school
• 80% of the time, an argument with a bully will end up in a physical fight
• 1/3 of students surveyed said they heard another student threaten to kill someone
• 2 out of 3 say they know how to make a bomb, or know where to get the information to do it
• Playground statistics – Every 7 minutes a child is bullied. Adult intervention -4% Peer intervention -1%. No intervention -85%.
Cyber Bullying Statistics
• Depending on the age group, up to 43% of students have been bullied while online. 1 in 4 have had it happen more than once
• 35% of kids have been threatened online. Nearly 1 in 5 have had it happen more than once
• 21% of kids have received mean or threatening e-mail or other messages
• 58% of kids admit someone has said mean or hurtful things to them online. More than 4 out of 10 say it has happened more than once
• 53% of kids admit having said something mean or hurtful to another person online. More than 1 in 3 have done it more than once
• 58% have not told their parents or an adult about something mean or hurtful that happened to them online
Some feel that Bullying is a normal right of passage in growing up. It isn’t!! There will always be conflicts between kids, but bullying is intentional cruelty, harassment, and emotional, physical and sometimes sexual abuse. This behavior can set the tone for a lifetime of intentional cruelty or worse. The consequences of such actions to the victim can seriously affect them for the rest of their lives.
Together we can Eliminate Bullying!